Over the course of 59 years, GCI Memphis had accumulated a lot of inventory.
With a major change of location forced on us this summer, our allies at Good Shepherd United Methodist kindly agreed to store our inventory. Then, suddenly, they needed to open space quickly for another project. GCI had about a week to “clear inventory” and the weather was not cooperating.
Nevertheless, over two days on February 6-7, with just two vans, we were able to make well-received disbursements to people in our community network in some of the least advantaged parts of the city.
Some of this can be listed:
- Three cartons of paper plates and cups to the 4-5-year-olds at Miriam Child Education Center, along with one electrical metal TV stand
- Two bulletin boards to Two Steps Forward Day Care Center
- One 7-foot beautifully lacquered cross to Good Shepherd UMC sanctuary
- A 4-foot crescent-shaped “Celebrate Jesus” sign to Jesus Quest Church
- One portable whiteboard to Raleigh Egypt Middle School
- Two finely furnished lecterns to Raleigh Egypt High School
The schools, in particular, were glad to get these quality furnishings. Principal Meeks could not contain her joy, saying, “I’ll put this lectern in the auditorium right away.” They have been recipients of many school supplies over the years from a program run by our Women’s Ministry. In the end, it all came together and many friendships were made and cemented across the city. The real joy was seeing 1 Corinthians 15:58 fulfilled. People who labored to build these items can rest assured that they are still used and appreciated.
And that’s how inventory can become a blessing.
Wishing you blessings,
Elder, GC Memphis